The reactions to the selection of Pope Francis have been loud and joyful throughout Buenos Aires this week. The following are the top 5 most common reactions seen firsthand in Buenos Aires:
5) Surprise: Although Jorge Mario Bergoglio is a popular figure within the clergy, the former Cardinal of Buenos Aires did not appear to be at the top of the list of probable candidates for pope. Being the first non-European pope has proven itself a pleasant shock to Argentina, despite the fact that the country has the 11th largest population of Catholics in the world.
4) Dissatisfaction: Although this is not a dominant reaction, choosing Bergoglio has led some to voice discontentment with his stances. Being a stanch anti-gay figure and leader of the Jesuits throughout Argentina’s Dirty War in the 1970s has left the new pope with some amount of public dissatisfaction among the cynics.
3) Anticipation: As news of Pope Francis broke out, porteños (Buenos Aires residents) flooded the interior and exterior of the Catedral Metropolitana in the heart of the city. Even though the announcement came on Wednesday afternoon, news cameras remain parked down the street awaiting their next story.
2) Invigoration: Although Argentina is largely a pious, Catholic nation, the selection of Pope Francis has renewed the religious energy in the city. Local churches are now replete with Vatican flags and the city is abuzz with discussions about the new pope.
1) Pride! How could the number 1 reaction be anything else, really? The fact that Bergoglio is the first Latin pope is news in itself, but the fact that he served in Buenos Aires is undoubtedly a huge source of pride for porteños. The unmistakable presence of joy as people cried, danced and prayed in the streets Wednesday is not likely to dissipate soon. As Argentina is elevated to the forefront of international attention, there has been much to celebrate this week in the capital city.
Photos courtesy of Geena de Rose/Gavel Media.
School, major and year: A&S ‘14, Political Science
What makes the Gavel so BANGin’? Awesome people, great content.
You have 24 hours to give prospective students a tour of BC and convince them to enroll. How do you spend the day? Hockey game, tour of campus, meal at Hillside, read The Gavel
If you could go back in time and give yourself a pep talk the night before you moved into BC as a freshman, what is the most important piece of advice that you would give to your former self?No worries, it all works out.
What is your favorite study spot on campus? Out of sheer laziness, my room.
What is your go-to meal at Late Night? Haven’t had a meal plan in a tragically long time.
What is the #1 most played song on your iTunes? "Lonely Boy" by The Black Keys
What is the best Halloween costume that you have ever worn? Sarah Palin, Halloween 2008
If you could only eat at one restaurant for the rest of your life, which would you choose? Chili’s, although I’d probably die of high blood pressure within a matter of days.
If you could befriend the main characters from any TV show or movie, who would you choose and why? Liz Lemon and Jack Donaghy from "30 Rock," because, duh.