After 48 hours of uncertainty, continued political deadlock in Congress and an overtly concerned college football fan base, Boston College students can breathe a sigh of relief. BC will kick off against Army at the originally scheduled time this Saturday, according to a senior defense official.
The AP's Ralph Russo and Lolita Baldor, who cited a source speaking on condition of anonymity, reported that "the teams will be allowed to play because the games are paid for with non-appropriated funds, and have been long planned."
Officials says U.S. military academy football games may go ahead this weekend after all, despite shutdown: http://t.co/zhj7T2DNEs -SS
— The Associated Press (@AP) October 3, 2013
Approval from the DoD follows heavy speculation that the government shutdown would prevent service academies from traveling and using government funds. Because the service academies are using "non-appropriated funds," or funds that come from external, non-governmental sources, travel is permitted.
Brad Bates released a statement earlier in the day that said the university offered to pay for Army's travel expenses, but that it was "not solely a financial decision."
BC officials have not commented on the AP report.
Steve Addazio, meanwhile, remained focused on his team despite discussion of the game potentially not being played.
The Boston Globe's Michael Vega reported earlier that Coach Addazio was more concerned about his team's preparation for the game than other outside events. As far as Addazio's concerned, the game is on.
Addazio said he hasn't ``paid any attention'' to implications of gov't shutdown on BC-Army game Saturday. ``We're getting ready to play.''
— Michael Vega (@MBVEGA) October 2, 2013
Update: Boston College AD Brad Bates confirms via twitter that the BC-Army game will be played at its initial time.
— Brad Bates (@BCBradBates) October 3, 2013
Follow @BCGavelSports on Twitter for the latest updates on Boston College athletics.