add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );Read Twice as Fast in Time for Midterms - BANG.

Read Twice as Fast in Time for Midterms

As exam season looms and piles upon piles of reading build up at exponential rates, many a Boston College student wishes he or she could read just a little bit faster.

Now, the Boston based software developer Spritz may have just made this dream a reality. Spritz has developed a new technology in which the user can read an entire novel in 90 minutes.

Spritz is about to go public with their new technology with Samsung.

Although other companies have produced similar technologies to help improve reading speed, Spritz’s technology incorporates a new system that manipulates the eye to read faster.

Photo courtesy of Spritz Inc./Facebook

Photo courtesy of Spritz Inc./Facebook

The basis of the Spritz innovation is that they are able to identify the “Optimal Recognition Point” (ORP) of each word, which is located slightly to the left of the center of each word. Once your eyes find the ORP, your brain is then able to begin processing the word.

“When reading, only around 20% of your time is spent processing content," Spritz explains. "The remaining 80% is spent physically moving your eyes from word to word and scanning for the next ORP.”

Spritz has taken out the eye movement from word to word in order to allow your brain to primarily focus on recognizing and processing the words. The idea is that, by allowing you to read without moving your eyes, you will ultimately save time and read faster, while understanding more.

The technology displays the words on a single screen while helping your eyes to locate the ORP by highlighting that letter in red. Thus, you do not need to continuously search for the ORP of the next word while you are reading.

Photo courtesy of Spritz Inc./Facebook

Photo courtesy of Spritz Inc./Facebook

Spritz claims that it is different from other reading techniques because of the reduced time it takes you to learn how to use the technology.

The company boasts that a person can learn how to use the technology within 5 minutes, and, if you stop using Spritz for an extended amount of time, “no practice is needed to return quickly to your previous speed or skill level”. Other techniques require “intensive, continuous training and dedication," they say.

Spritz will be distributing their software development kits for the product on March 21 and will be free for developers to use. Androids will be the first to utilize the technology, then JavaScript and then iOS. The possible ramifications for students are widespread.

+ posts

Hail from Rhode Island. Jimmy Fallon is my spirit animal. Kate Middleton is my hair idol. I named my phone Apple--not after Apple Inc., but after Apple, Gwyneth Paltrow's daughter.