add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );BC Loses First Beanpot Consolation Game Since '93 - BANG.
Photo courtesy of Ticketmaster / Facebook

BC Loses First Beanpot Consolation Game Since '93

Jerry York walked into the press conference at the TD Garden with his head in his hands. Taking the microphone, the coach struggled to find the words to sum up how he felt about what had just gone down.

Who could blame him?

In a matter of 30 seconds, his team had gone from scoring the go-ahead goal to steal the lead from Northeastern to losing 4-2. It happened that fast.

Tied at 2-2 with under two minutes remaining, David Cotton got the rebound off of a shot and went low on a snapshot, appearing to give BC the edge as well as a poised position to defend for the final minute and a half. But then suddenly the goal was reversed for goal-tender interference, leaving a maroon-and-white team frazzled—and allowing an amped-up NU team to score in transition within the next 30 seconds, putting the dagger through the Eagles’ fate.

“Do I agree with it? Absolutely not. But it’s their call; it’s not my call,” York said in response to the goal reversal. “It’s just really frustrating that we’re preparing our team to defend and then all of a sudden a goal gets reversed on us.”

York said he understood the call to be interference, but that from his viewpoint, a BC player was pushed on top of the Huskies goalie, Ryan Ruck.

On the contrary, NU Head Coach Jim Madigan said, “As the goal was scored, I’m calling for interference. It was clear to me that it was goaltender interference, so I wasn’t surprised when it was overturned.”

Regardless, Northeastern (13-12-5) handed BC (18-12-2) its first Beanpot consolation loss since 1993, and the very first of the Jerry York era.

The Eagles got on the board first with an early lead at the end of the first period as David Cotton ripped a slapshot from Colin White. BC maintained the lead until the middle of the second, when NU freshman Matt Filipe scored his first of the night on a 2-on-1 breakaway to break even.

It wasn’t until nearly halfway through the third period that NU would take the lead for the first time all-game. Filipe netted his second of the game—and ninth all-time—off of a defensive turnover by BC which left the freshman wide open in front of Joe Woll in net, lofting the Huskies to 3-2 with 13:13 remaining in the contest.

The Eagles responded with an equalizer six minutes later on a tap in by Colin White, but Northeastern then reacted by scoring the final two goals—the latter of which came off of a breakaway on an empty BC net in the final 30 seconds.

Neither team allowed any penalty-kill goals, with BC going 0-for-3 and Northeastern 0-4—the Huskies first time going scoreless on the powerplay in 19 games. BC held the shooting advantage at 32-30 shots, with Woll also recording 26 saves for the Eagles.

Coincidentally, Northeastern is also the same team that sent BC to fourth place in the Beanpot in 1993. The Huskies are now 11-34 all-time in Beanpot matchups against the Eagles.

“We’ll stay steady as a rock. After a day off, we'll switch gears and try to go after our regular season title,” York stated.

And there’s no time to lose. The Hockey East tournament is less than a month away, and there are just four regular season games remaining—two of which will be played this Friday and Saturday night against Vermont at Kelley Rink. They are must wins if the Eagles have any chance at holding the Hockey East title come March 3.

+ posts