KK Bent / Gavel Media

Eagles Get Revenge, 5-2, Against UMass Lowell

As the puck dropped Saturday night in Conte Forum, No. 16 Boston College was bloodthirsty and ready to avenge Friday’s 3-2 loss at UMass Lowell.

By the end of the second period, five different Eagles had helped themselves to a goal. Two of them, Graham McPhee and JD Dudek, struck just 16 seconds apart.

Joe Woll’s strong goaltending and a united forward line held through 60 minutes to ultimately hand BC a 5-2 victory (and sweet, sweet revenge) over the UMass Lowell River Hawks in the second of the matchup's two-game series.

Woll held a shutout for 44 minutes, but just as BC was starting to feel invincible, a nasty five minutes of power play in the third quarter put the River Hawks on the board. The final frame saw the Eagles lose steam after a four-goal second period that solidified the win.

David Cotton and Connor Moore took advantage of the power play to notch the first two goals of the night, setting the audience up for McPhee and Dudek’s one-two punch that kept them from getting too comfortable in their seats.

Cotton’s goal, his third man-up score of the season, marks his eleventh game of the last 13 with a point. It hopefully signifies the beginning of a new streak, considering Wednesday’s matchup against UMass Amherst was his first in eight games without a point.

Moore, however, stole the show with his ripper to the back of the net that sent River Hawks goalie Tyler Wall’s water bottle flying, breaking it on impact.

"Graham [McPhee] came over and told me it broke," Moore said, laughing. "I didn't see that, but it felt good to hear that I broke it."

Wall's teammate Avni Berisha kindly replaced the bottle, but ten minutes and three more goals later, Wall himself was replaced by backup goalie Chris Hernberg.

"I don't fault Tyler at all," said UMass Lowell Head Coach Norm Bazin. "I took him out as a mercy."

The third period kicked off with a fight behind BC’s goal that left UML’s Charlie Levesque sprawled on the ice for a little too long and gave Luke McInnis two minutes in the box for hooking and Tortora five for boarding.

Fans watched with bated breath as the Eagles survived two minutes of 3 vs. 5 play unscathed, but the River Hawks managed to score their first goal of the night with 1:42 left on Tortora’s penalty. Fittingly, it was Levesque who paid the Eagles back for what looked like an injury just four minutes before with his power play goal.

Teammate Tommy Panico added another within twin minutes to narrow the Eagles’ lead to three before being sent to the box for holding.

The final 15 minutes of play went by scoreless on both sides.

The Finnish ambassador to the United Nations, Kai Sauer, was in attendance Saturday to watch his countrymen, Aapeli Räsänen and the Mattila twins. Defenseman Jesper Mattila (two assists) and Dudek led the Eagles with 2 points each after Dudek assisted freshman Jacob Tortora on the fifth unanswered goal of the night.

Panico and Chris Forney also finished with 2 points each for Lowell.

Next up, the Eagles travel to Hartford to face UConn in their house.

Follow @BCGavelSports on Twitter for the latest updates on Boston College athletics.

Happiest during baseball season, while thinking about goats, and when a Pitbull song comes on in the club.