add_theme_support( 'post-thumbnails' );Women’s Soccer Draws With Wake Forest in Overtime - BANG.
Photo courtesy of BC Women's Soccer / Twitter

Women’s Soccer Draws With Wake Forest in Overtime

The Eagles drew with the Demon Deacons 3-3 in an end-of-regulation thriller this Sunday from Newton Campus on Senior Day.

The match was incredibly high-paced, aggressive, and exciting despite neither side scoring in overtime. Wake Forest outshot BC 19 to 16, with BC committing 17 fouls to Wake’s 10.

The first half was relatively slow in comparison to the second. Only one goal was scored in the first 45 minutes, as a staggering five goals—including four in a 10-minute window—were scored in the second.

In the first half, the Eagles struck first on a sister-to-sister connection in the fourth minute to take an early 1-0 lead. It was the first time the Jennings sisters combined for a goal at BC.

Jillian Jennings crossed a free-kick from the left wing that Kayla Jennings met overtop a defender. Her looping header beat the outstretched arm of keeper Meghan Kennedy in the middle of the goal.

The Eagles were dominant in the opening 30 minutes before Wake Forest made a couple of substitutions and got back into the match. BC outshot them five to two before Wake outshot BC six to one over the last 15 minutes.

It took the Demon Deacons just under 12 minutes to equalize out of the break. Estelle Laurier chipped a cross into the box to Hulda Arnarsdottir, who settled the ball and poked it into the near post from five yards out.

BC reclaimed the lead in the 78th minute. Olivia Vaughn took a bouncing shot from the top of the box that Mia Raben saved but should have held on to. Francesca Venezia was in the perfect spot to tap the rebound into an empty net. Vaughn was credited with the assist and had two on the day. 

Just five minutes later, Wake Forest tied the match at 2-2. Arnarsdottir beat a defender on the right wing and played a great through-ball into the box at the feet of Hayley Younginer. Younginer wriggled past a defender and curled an unstoppable shot into the left corner past Allie Augur. 

BC took the lead for the third time that evening less than two minutes later. Kayla Jennings headed down a corner that found the feet of Vaughn who was boxing out a defender. Vaughn tapped the ball backward to Gianna Mitchell, who slotted a one-time finish into the bottom left corner of the goal.

Amazingly the match had more action on the cards as Wake Forest equalized with an incredible goal in the 88th minute to send the game into overtime. 

Vicky Krug played a vertical free-kick from beyond midfield into the penalty box. Giovanna DeMarco popped a header into the air towards the penalty spot that Hannah Belfort headed yet again to Ryanne Brown, who headed it into the bottom corner. 

Overtime failed to deliver on the regulation action that seemed impossible to top as the match ended in a scoreless draw. BC was impressive offensively, but will be disappointed to leave with a draw from a home match. Despite taking the lead on three separate occasions, defensive lapses cost them a win. 

This match was the first-ever tie between the two sides. BC now holds an 8-7-1 all-time record against Wake Forest. 

The 8-4-2 Eagles (1-4-1 in ACC play) will now look to bounce back and bolster their ACC record against a difficult North Carolina Tar Heels team at home this Thursday at 7 p.m.

Wawa Hoagiefest is the greatest event of the year, Avalon is the greatest shore town and that is the law, and Philly sports are the cause and solution to my life’s problems.